Tuesday, October 9, 2007

It's Nic's Birthday!

Nic, my first born grandchild, will be 10 tomorrow, October 10th. OMgosh, I can't believe it's been 10 years since Denise, Darrell, and I were out walking around the hospital at Ft. Stewart. Darrell had called me the night before about 10:30 saying Denise was having contractions and they were on the way to the hospital and that he'd call me and let me know what the doctor said. Well, gosh, I was almost 4 hours away and he thought I was going to sit here and WAIT for him to call? No way! That was my first grandchild who was about to be born and he actually thought I wasn't going to come on down? Get real, son. You couldn't keep me here if you had tied me down. So, I called Gina and said I was leaving and I took off. Now, keep in mind that I HATE driving at night -- almost as much as I HATE driving in the rain -- but what do you do when it's going on midnight and you have a chance of being there to see your first grandchild be born? Silly, you get in the car and you leave. Well, a few hours later I drove up at Darrell's house and his car was there. What in the world? I walked in the front door and there sat Darrell and Denise. She had been sent back home, but was told to be there the next morning. So, I got to sit up and talk with Denise and Darrell about everything they were about to do (and not do any longer), and all the wonderful things they could look forward to. The next morning, we got everything ready and took off for the hospital. Denise was checked and they told her to go walk around the hospital for an hour or so. So, here we go! Finally they admitted her and then the crowd started showing up -- Denise's Dad and step-mom, her mom, her brothers and sisters, Darrell's two sisters, and me. We had the room full! And an Atlanta Braves' game was on tv the whole time Denise was in labor. I won't go into all the shananigans we got into, but rest assured, we had a blast waiting for Nic to be born. When he finally arrived, I was so excited. I was finally a Grams. That's what it's all about! And now, that little boy is 10. Wow! How time flies when you're having fun!

Happy Birthday, Nic. Grams loves you! I wish I were in Korea with you so I could give you a big hug!

No comments: